Stephen Covey got it right. There are 7 core elements to success in life—seven sets of behaviors that, when practiced and perfected, become habits that determine our success and perhaps, our destiny.
Let’s apply this thinking to your role as the CEO or leader of an association. I’ve created the following seven habits based on my experience working with many of the nation’s leading CEOs.
First, a disclaimer. These won’t be a surprise but seeing them in one place and evaluating how well you’re mastering each of these is where the value lies.
- Building and sustaining exceptional relationships with your Board.
- Ongoing focus to measure and invest in membership growth with a goal of 10% growth year over year.
- Seeking solutions and value that are dedicated to engaging and growing millennial and Gen X demographics equal to those of Baby Boomers.
- Keeping a finger on the pulse of your industry ecosystem five forces—demographics, technology, consolidation, globalization, and government action—on a weekly basis.
- Staying involved and committing to do what it takes to ensure a thriving annual event and an evolving live event portfolio.
- Being the leader in attracting and retaining the best talent: risk-takers and fresh thinkers.
- Measuring your organization through the lens of the 7 Rs – Reach, Retention, Relevance, Reputation, Revenue, ROI, and Risk.
If you like to know more about how to establish or strengthen any of the above habits, I’d like to invite you to have breakfast with me to discuss.